ePragmatic - practical solutions

Come join me to discuss practical solutions in the field of technology, let's get practical

Sunday, September 12, 2004

 

How does Product Management help us get better products?

How does Product Management help us get better products?

Thinking about this question for sometime I had no quick answer in short conversation, so I kept my observance of how other companies changed products....

Well, I was washing my face and I noticed that I had a pimple/acne (dude this age u still get it ...anyways) and wanted to get rid of it, so i applied a cream from neutorgen, I can do this only in the night before sleeping coz if I applied during morning/evening times anybody could notice the cream, since it was white in color and looks like a patch on your face when applied :) ... .. so this was not effective as experienced by the consumers and they were forced to apply during night times...

OK, so "how did Product Management solve this conundrum"?
As Product Managers are called market messengers, they did their market survey and found out that their is a problem with their consumers,... they wanted to liberate them so they can apply this cream whenever ... after research and development the next version of the product from neutrogen had some amazing features, I purchased this new product without knowingly the cream was not white anymore, it was your skin color, I mean it was transparent cream.... so now i can apply anytime, even go to office and still nobody notices that I had a cream for acne applied and the cream is doing its job of kicking away the pimple/acne ... For neutrogen, they gained market share and consumers loved this product much better than all those white creams based ones...

This was one of the features among many they came up with and they have kept their innovation quest going ... some of the companies don't even understand the need of product management, they mostly promote their own feature lists and then look for buyers instead of other way round ....

Software Product Management: If you can't define it, you're doing a bad job at it...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

June 2004   July 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   October 2005   November 2005   January 2006   March 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   November 2006   March 2007   January 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?